AS 9100 is a quality management standard criteria that has been designed to specifically cover the entire Aerospace industry. The Aerospace industry is a high risk sector, and the need for regulatory control to make sure the safety and quality of services offered in the sector are world class. AS 9100 was developed in 1997. The principles that make up the act have been a product of certain well versed industry players and Aerospace controllers.
The first quality management ideas in the Aerospace industry were first published by the Society of Automotive engineers in partnership with the American Aerospace Quality Group as well as the Internationals Aerospace Quality Group (AAQG & IAQG respectively). AS 9100 is a revised version of the quality management criteria in the Aerospace sector and incorporates all the foundational concepts of ISO 9001 and ISO 2008. The difference between the compilations however is the fact that it has more provisions in regulatory compliance for global Aerospace standards.
The following are the requirements of the certification program:
- AS 9100 presents a configuration management design verification, testing and validation criteria for all Aerospace companies and related sectors.
- The certification programs also require a reliable and easily maintainable safety and security strategy and management system.
- There is also a requirement for objective review of the contractors and subcontractors to ascertain their performance is within the AS9100 charter and agreement.
- Strong emphasis placed by the AS 9100 certification on the verification of all products purchased for and from the sector as well as monitoring of the products through its life cycle.
- Strong need for aerospace organizations to document the control of production activities, equipments and tools as well as computerized production programs.
- Standardized overall control of company suppliers and supply chains to provide oversight for regulation towards AS 9001 certification
The following are the benefits of the AS 9100 certification program for any Aerospace company or related companies:
- Implementation of AS 9100 defines the roles and responsibilities of staff and contributes to increases in the motivational edge of the whole taskforce.
- The certification program also provides a clear-cut outline of effective Aerospace production and thus allows companies to engage in cost-effective production.
- The overall goal of the AS 9100 is to promote innovative practices in the Aerospace sector that will guarantee safety and security. This is very influential in winning customer satisfaction.
- The consistency created by the AS 9100 in the verification process has helped to harmonize the industry
QSE adopts a “Ten Step Approach”™ to Implementation. This approach, designed and perfected by QSE, addresses each facet in an easy to implement manner. Tools merge with each other seamlessly and so effortlessly that the end product is a top-notch quality.