Notification: QSE offers Certification Assistance, Consulting, Training, and Internal Audits (2nd Party). Since introduction of Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) by the Department of Defense, requirements for 3rd Party Certification Bodies (C3PAOs) have not been finalized. Beware of those making false CMMC 3rd Party Certification claims.
Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) is a framework of various cybersecurity standards and best practices that is a requirement for government contractors working with the Department of Defense (DoD).
The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification v2.0 has been developed by the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment in collaboration with DoD Stakeholders, University Affiliated Research Centers, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers, and participation of Industry.
Many existing cybersecurity certifiable and guidance standards are being reviewed for best practices to be incorporated into Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) to develop controls and processes. The CMMC Standard is committed to extensive reduction of risk against cyber threats.
This CMMC was built upon existing regulation to ensure trust through verification of Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification requirements, intended to be cost-effective for small businesses, and utilizes 3rd party organizations for audits to identify risks.
CMMC includes the 110 security requirements of NIST SP 800-171 (National Institute of Standards governance of Unclassified Information “CUI”) and expands within five levels additional processes and practices from other standards.
- In this fast-paced world we live in, new computer software systems are constantly being developed and updates applied. It’s essential that protection for all software systems is secure, real-time, and flexible to meet change.
- Any Defense Industrial Base (DIB) organization with ISO Standards implemented but want to expand security protection through a more thorough CMMC Standard. Examples of management systems that CMMC supports include:
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013.
- ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Extension to ISO 27001.
- ISO 22301:2019 (Business continuity connection to cybersecurity).
- Contractors performing DoD contracts or Subcontractors not solely producing Commercial On-The-Shelf (COTS) products must achieve CMMS Certification.
- Any facility wanting assurance for customers and organizational stakeholders that all electronic submissions, confidential information, communications, plans, blueprints, designs, etc. are protected and preparation fully developed for risk mitigation through a continuous monitoring security system.
- Any facility desirous of having a strong marketing tool to showcase their commitment to security and risk mitigation enables secure capabilities.
- All businesses, operations, and organizations needing disciplines in place to Manage through CMMC or CMS and identify / address cybersecurity subject matter such as:
- Cyber Crime.
- Cyber Security Risk Assessment.
- SOC 2 Audit Procedures.
- Cyber Incident Response (CIR).
- Cybersecurity Framework (CSF) – NIST.
- Periodic Review of CMMC/CMS Flexibility, Timeliness, and Effectiveness in Addressing Security.
Process for Getting Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification / Cybersecurity Management System Certification:
- The path to certification for CMMC is not clear prior to release but the DoD. Typical steps to certification for other standards include:
- Preparation of the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification v1.02 (CMMC) or ISO 27001:2013 and ISO 27701:2019 Systems.
- QSE Cybersecurity Consultants assist in development and use of implementation techniques to meet all requirements.
- Applying with a 3rd Party Auditor (C3PAO).
- A Cybersecurity Consulting Firm trains the organization’s internal auditors to become competent to perform internal audits
QSE provides CMMC or ISO 27001:2013 and ISO 27701:2019 Internal Auditing Services to audit all requirements
- Once CMMC / CMS is ready, one full cycle of Internal Audits.
- Facilities need to initiate corrective actions and continual improvement is realized through control of nonconforming products / services.
- Facilities need to implement the prepared CMMC / CMS for a minimum of 3 months and gather adequate data and records to show as evidence prior to the Certification Audit.
- Managements of the facilities need to conduct one full scale review of the entire CMMC / CMS and ensure its adequacy for their organization. Management Team needs to identify Action items to make corrections to any CMMC /CMS certification requirement not being fulfilled.
- Once CMMC /CMS is ready, one full cycle of internal audits performed.
- Once the Facility passes the CMMC /CMS compliance audit successfully, the C3PAO issues compliance certificate.
- Compliance certificate to CMMC / CMS may avoid regulatory audits from Government agencies.
- Other standards are available that provide potential avenues for less stringent certification including:
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013.
- ISO/IEC 27701:2019 as Extension of ISO 27001.
- ISO 22301:2019.
- CMMC and ISO Standards are valid for 3 years.
- Quality Management Consultants can prepare your meet Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) or Cybersecurity Management System (CMS) requirements and show evidence of having an effectively implemented system.
- QSE Consulting is the practice of assisting small, medium and large organizations in developing, training, implementing, and maintaining all documentation/records for achieving Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) or Cybersecurity Management System (CMS).
- In addition to having a simplified system, the same is required to be audited periodically per a determined schedule to ensure that designed systems are being followed and controls are being exercised.
- Audits performed by a team within the facility are called 1st Party Audit.
- Audits performed by consultant firms like Quality Systems Enhancement are known as a second party audit.
- Audits conducted by Certification Body are known as 3rd party audit.
- 3rd Party audit is conducted by a qualified Registrar with the accredited authority to perform certification audits and issue a Cybersecurity Certification.
- QSE consultants will ensure that certification is achieved with no or minimum nonconformities first time around.
- It is necessary to build a robust system that trains and compels employees to understand and adhere to defined roles, responsibilities, procedures and controls to ensure continuity. QSE will assist in implementing required training and awareness.
- QSE Consultants provide training to top level management as well as operations and office personnel in Risk-Based Thinking, Process Approach, and Continual Improvement including the employees’ role in achieving improvement.
Why Is Consulting Required for Cybersecurity Maturity Model & Cybersecurity Management System Certification?
- The majority of cybersecurity attacks occur to small companies that do not have the resources to properly prepare. A majority of those companies attacked never recover.
- A good consultant firm can:
- Provide detailed explanation on the intent of the standard.
- Develop a Simplistic Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification System that address all requirements of the standard.
- A comprehensive CMMC or CMS can create confidence in customers and provide the security needed to survive cyber attacks through solutions for cybersecurity issues.
- A Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification / ISO Standard consulting firm provides experience in the proper techniques for development / implementation of the
- Thoroughness of preparation and ease of Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification o ISO Standard achievement by utilizing all of QSE’s 10-Step Approach.
- Consulting firm such as QSE provides auditing services that:
- Help the facility verify the accuracy and adequacy of implementation through 2nd Party Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification System or ISO Internal Audits.
- Confirming thoroughness of root cause to help in making correction and taking corrective actions of system deficiencies.
- The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification Audit will be performed by a 3rd Party accredited by the CMMC Accreditation Body.
- Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) or Cybersecurity Management System (CMS) requires development of the necessary controls and processes to minimize / prevent security leaks through risk mitigation.
- Through implementation of control measures & comprehensive risk assessment criteria, Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) or Cybersecurity Management System (CMS) presents an opportunity for organizations to identify potential for failure and weaknesses in their computer software and security systems that may expose the company, employees, and customers to potential risk.
- The Department of Defense is the premier organization vested in development of an effective cybersecurity system and is developing a system that will meet the needs for all organization of any size.
- Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) or Cybersecurity Management System (CMS) provides consistency and confidence in and effective, secure management of delicate / confidential information.
Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) or Cybersecurity Management System (CMS) protects against legal liabilities that may occur from insecure systems.